Friday, February 17, 2012

Naughty Words

So I'm a mean mommy who doesn't let her kids play outside unless I'm there with them at all times. I don't know if it's because I don't want other kids being mean to them or other kids teaching them naughty things (which is quite common in our neighborhood), but I just don't like it. Today, right now, is the first time I've ever let Alex play outside without me there with him. Ella is taking a nap and some kids asked if he could come play. I wanted to say no, but I never let him play with other kids (except my friends' kids, who are mostly girls) cause I think they're mean and know way too much at their ages (in this neighborhood anyway). Well, I decided he's probably old enough to go play in our little cul-de-sac without me for a couple minutes. I've been trying to work but haven't been able to focus very well. I keep getting up every 30 seconds to peek out the window and see if he's okay.

I just opened the door a crack to see how things were going and he was out there playing in the rocks with another kid his age and two older kids. This is mostly what I don't like--kids too old always playing with kids too young around here. I could hear the older kids saying, "Alex, Xander called you a butthead." I was about to intervene (already) but thought I'd see how he responded. Alex just gave them a puzzled look and said, "What's a butthead?" Atta boy. Then the kids said, "Alex, Xander just called you a poopy head," (yes, these kids are like 8 and 10 and are saying awesome stuff like this), to which Alex very sternly replied, with his finger raised, "Don't say poopy head--my mom doesn't like it!" Atta boy again.

Well, I don't know if this is a good story or a bad story. I like that Alex maintained his innocence, but I don't like that the first time I let him play outside by himself he learns words like "butthead" and how to use a word for defecation as an insult. Hmmm, teenagers should be fun...

4 comments:

sadie said...

good one, stace. definitely a proud moment. come move into our cul-de-sac. i can't promise you the kids won't say "butthead" but i can promise you lots of rolos.

Whitney said...

Oh Stacy, I love your children. And I had to smile a little, because I recall playing with rocks and all manner of things while learning some naughty words with my favorite cousins back in the day. Not from you though. You were probably inside making us all mac'n'cheese or admiring your amazing "Baby Soft" perfume collection. Boy, I loved that perfume collection of yours!

Harris said...

haha i love it! I would be one proud mama as well

Tris said...

This was so funny to read on the parts that said, Alex Xander. Get it? Stupid kids! I hate stuff like this! I always want to be there to protect my kids from the mean things kids say. Poor sweet little Alex. You're teaching him right. And butthead is a mild word if ya ask me. Not that we say but wait until he's in school. It gets worse! It's frightening! And the thought of sending my kids to middle school and high school makes me terrified!