Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Halloween: What are the costs?

It's the greatest time of the year. Christmas? No, Halloween. Tanner refuses to dress up this year because we don't have anywhere to go, but I contest that if our child is walking by then, we have a perfectly good excuse to get free candy from the homes of strangers (which Alex is too young to consume, of course.) Although I would appreciate the favorable nudges in my defense in Tanner's direction, that is beside the point of this post. Today I received an ad from Partyland Costumes in the mail and was amazing at how expensive their costumes were. This is what they were offering. SICK!


In college I produced what I think is a much better penguin for less than $2 (courtesy of the DI) and with help the help of a roommate and a large sack to dispense the guts. (Please excuse the amazing amount of legs that are showing.)


Maybe I'll get less creative as the kids roll in (or out), but I've had quite a good, cheap time making homemade costumes with friends. Here are a few examples for your viewing pleasure: (1. Beetlejuice meets Edward Scissorhands. 2. Lucy and Ricky stuck in black and white. 3. KISS. 4. Oompa Loompa.)

I guess I already got a little lazy last year though because Alex got stuck in a store-bought, but in my defense it's hard to plan for when you're due on Halloween. We still think he looks pretty cute though. Make no doubt about it, we take Halloween seriously around here.

15 comments:

katrina said...

Those pictures bring back some good memories! You are the QUEEN of halloween. Don't let us down this year Stace.

Tori said...

I seriously love beattle juice...when was that one taken?? Kat looks glorious!! If you need a seamstress I would love to help, no distance can keep me from you...

Dear Tanner,

There is only one Halloween in the year 2008,
so please don't let us down,
and by us I mean the blogging community...
we are counting on you in ways you cannot even imagine...

Thanks,

The Soon-to-be-greatful Blogging Community

Tris said...

Please DO NOT spend money on a hideous penguin costume when you are so clever and creative. I really am impressed at the costumes you came up with. Any suggestions on how we could dress Myles like a Moose?

And as for Tanner.....don't be such a schmuck! I vote that you dress up as Mrs. Fitzer or Fritzer or whatever her name is. Mullets ROCK!

Whitney said...

Dear Tanner,

I remember one glorious fall day at good ol' LHS when I was startled to see Willy Wonka and Three Oompa Loompas in the hall. One Oompa Loompa said Hi to me and I realized it was none other then my wonderful cousin Stacy. I was so happy and laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants right then and there. How am I supposed to relive this exciting time if you, Stacy and Alex do not dress up in something fabulous? I've even purchased a nice set of Depends, so I can laugh without fear. Please don't disappoint me!

Sincerely,
Whitney

Kirstin Patten said...

Wow. I remember that night with the penguin.... That stuffing was all over us from the dumpster... And as I recall you cut that open with a kitchen knife... Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I love you stace.

Amy said...

You've had a blog for a month now and have yet to say hello to me on my blog! I'm offended :( Just teasin. What are you going to dress Alex up as this year? Looks like you're good at coming up with creative ideas!

Amy said...

Haha it's ok, I'm just playing with you. I am really impressed with what great strides you have made since entering the blogging the world! Making comments and all the things that come with being a blogger definitely take some getting used to!

Oh and yes, it is disgusting. But it's like it's justified when you have it only at a state fair, ya right??! :)

Amy said...

Ok, I made some typos in that. Take out the second "the" in the 4th line and the "ya" in the second line from the bottom.

Shels said...

Forget partyland costumes-your much more creative than them mrs costume goddess

Candice said...

Yes! You have the best Halloween costumes. I am obsessed with the Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice picture. I wish I could have seen it in person!

debra allen said...

I raised you to like "THE DOORS", not John Mayer!!
Jim Morrison for President!

sadie said...

Can I copy you? After all, I live in a different city. Let me know when you figure out a good costume for Alex/CJ and Stacy/Sadie. But nothing for Christian, thanks. I think he is an even worse Halloween Scrooge than Tanner.

Neil and Ms.T said...

Halloween is a sacred time in our family.
I've been called a "pagan" back here in New England. Is it because I've collected 50+ witches from places all over the U.S. and one from Africa? Because I have a Halloween/Autumnal Tree? Because I give out the large candy bars at the Ward "trunker or treat?" Is that it? heh? Is it?
Where would we be with out Lucy and Dez?
Okay guys, starting right now, who ever sends their Halloween pictures into our blog. Neil and I will pick the best: Prize A CRISP 50.00 BILL!!!!!!! BRING IT!

Neil and Ms.T said...

Yes! Yes! Any one that wants to put their picture's out there! Go for it!

Kym said...

We want a baby now too!! I'm really hoping to have him by Wednesday cuz Dr. Kirkman is going to be out of town after that until the next Monday, and more importantly...you guys will be up here. So you better start praying!!!! :)